How many times have you recorded a video on your iPhone only to discover that sound quality is poor? The built-in microphone isn’t meant for advanced recording. The sound won’t be clear or loud enough, especially if you are shooting outdoors.
The best iPhone external microphone will help you to take the sound quality to the next level. All it takes is connecting it via the lightning port or the headphone jack, and you are good to go. These mics are more versatile, and capable of removing background noise to produce a clear and crisp sound. Check out the reviews of the top-rated iPhone external mics below, and discover how to find a suitable product for your needs!
- Shure MV88 comes from a famous brand and can be a great choice for recording amazing audio. The product is made of high-quality materials and includes a windscreen to minimize wind noise.
- UHF Wireless Microphone features an entire set with three mics and adapters, as well as 32 different frequency channels. That ensures your audio will always remain free from interference.
- Boqha Lavalier Microphones is a clip-on mic that is easy to install. It allows freedom of movement with a five-feet long cable, and you can carry it around in the nice leather case.
- Rode VideoMic Me is a premium product with impressive durability. It captures a crisp sound and is perfect for shooting videos, especially if you are up close.
Who Should Get an iPhone External Microphone?
If you want to upgrade the sound quality of your audios and videos, you need the best microphones for the iPhone. Their biggest advantage is that they can deliver crisp and clean sounds while eliminating background and wind noise.
These products are suitable for singers, vloggers, live performers, and all those who plan on using their iPhone and expect top-quality sound from it. You will spend considerably less time on editing sounds if you use a professional-grade microphone.
Best iPhone External Microphones: What to Consider in 2021
You can choose from a wide variety of iPhone external microphones, but it is important to find the one that suits your preferences. Our team made sure to select only the top-quality mics currently available on the market. These are the factors we considered during the selection process!
Choose the Right Type of Mic
The first step is determining the type of external mic for an iPhone that you need. The choices include the following:
- Lavalier – these units are attached directly to you, usually with a clip-on attachment. They are discreet, and the audience might not even notice them.
- Wireless – their biggest advantage is that they come without a cable. Make sure that the connection is stable, and they capture the sound well.
- Handheld – you keep these microphones in your hand, and that might allow the freedom of movement.
The essential thing that a microphone should have is sound quality. Numerous things could be a part of this category, including how well the mic captures sounds from the environment. It also matters to consider how well the product is at reducing background noise when necessary. Finally, pay attention to how close you have to be to the microphone to record optimal sound. Some units are omnidirectional, which is convenient.
The most important accessory in plug-in microphones for iPhones is the windshield. These items should cancel any wind noise, which makes them crucial for outdoor recording. Other accessories could be adapters, which increase versatility in connecting to various devices.
Other Factors to Consider
Here are some other factors to consider when choosing the best microphones for iPhone 11 and similar models:
- Frequency – the option to adjust the frequency minimizes the risk of interference.
- Rotation – if you can adjust the mic in the desired position, it will be easier to use it.
- Price – the microphone should stay within your budget chosen for this product.
Best External Microphones for iPhone: Our Picks for 2021
1. Shure MV88
Shure is a famous brand in the industry, and this might be their best iPhone external microphone currently available. The biggest advantage of this product is that it is highly portable and user-friendly. It comes with a small case that makes it suitable for taking with you to any location.
Once you install the microphone, you will realize the amazing sound quality enabled by the device. You can remove the windscreen if necessary, but it is an excellent accessory for outdoor shooting since it cancels any wind noise. It is possible to rotate the microphone and tilt it any way you see fit for optimal results.
The manufacturer used high-quality materials for optimal durability. The product comes with the Apple MFi certificate and uses a lightning connector for attaching to your iPhone. You get two apps to edit both audios and videos recorded with the device.
What We Like
- The 90-degree rotation will ensure fantastic sound clarity at all times.
- The windscreen can ensure that there is no wind noise when using the product.
- The carry case makes the unit convenient and easy to move around.
What We Dislike
- The price tag is a bit higher compared to other units.
Ttstar made another high-quality external mic for an iPhone. This is actually a set that includes three microphones and adapters, as well as a bunch of accessories. Thanks to that, you should have everything you need for live performance and recording top-quality sound.
You can connect the product to the latest iPhone models easily, and the lavalier lapel mic also supports wireless connections. The sound transmission is admirable, and the product does an amazing job when it comes to noise cancellation. The only thing noticed was that you should keep the mic close to optimize the volume.
The product supports 32 different UHF channels, which makes choosing an interference-free frequency simple. The durability is admirable, but you should be careful not to damage the parts by stepping on them or dropping them on the ground.
What We Like
- The set includes three mics, including handheld, headset, and lavalier lapel one.
- You can choose the frequency channel to avoid any interference while shooting.
- The microphone is reliable and provides great sound quality for live performances.
What We Dislike
- If you don’t keep the mic close, the volume might be surprisingly low.
Boqha made a plug-in microphone for iPhone that doesn’t require an adapter. It features an easy plug and play system that ensures the connection can be made in seconds.
When it comes to recording videos and audios, you will love the performance of this lavalier condenser microphone. The clip-on unit picks up all sounds from the surrounding well and delivers fantastic sound quality. It could be a bit better at canceling background noise, but it does a decent job, especially if you consider the price tag.
The cable is almost five feet long, which should give you the freedom to move the unit around as you record. The leather store case makes the microphone convenient for carrying around.
What We Like
- An affordable price tag and a real bargain deal for those seeking an entry-level mic.
- The sounds are clear and crisp as the microphone is reliable and picks up everything well.
- Excellent compatibility with Apple products and no need to use an adapter.
What We Dislike
- It is not that good in canceling background noise.
We know that Rode made some best mics for iPhone in the best, and this product met all expectations of its predecessors. This is a premium microphone suitable for those looking for top-quality sounds in all situations.
Are you a vlogger or recording a video for another reason? If that is your project, this product will be an excellent fit. That is because it allows freedom of movement while capturing a fantastic and crisp sound. Whether you record up close or move away from the mic, everything will sound great.
We love the furry windshield, which adds to the mic’s appearance. The unit is light and easy to hold in your hands, and the only thing to consider is the lack of the carrying case. Make sure to take good care of the microphone to prolong its durability.
What We Like
- Excellent for recording up close as it allows freedom of movement.
- An omnidirectional microphone that captures sounds well.
- The deluxe furry windshield is a nice touch as it contributes to the mic’s aesthetics.
What We Dislike
- The product doesn’t come with a carrying case, and it is recommended to buy one separately.
Useful Tips and Tricks
Have you ever connected an iPhone external microphone to this device? If the answer is no, you might need some guidance. The process is simple, but you can check this video for detailed instructions. The setup process should be similar for most models.
It is not easy to record fantastic phone audio. The task might be even more difficult if you are recording a video at the same time, and you need to pay attention to many things. LinkedIn offers useful tips on how to record impressive video with your iPhone.
If you are focusing on recording audio, you good benefit from a high-quality voice recorder app. After you record everything, you might need to push the recording through an audio editing app. Those who want to take care of all details shouldn’t forget the importance of using top-quality audio editing software.
Acquiring a trustworthy microphone is the first and essential step to recording amazing audio. Whether you only need to record sound or you plan it to be a part of the video, you need the best iPhone external microphone on the market. Think about the specific needs you have, and see whether you need an entry-level or a professional-grade mic. Based on that, it should be easy to find a unit that meets your needs in our reviews!