Apple iPhone is truly an all-around device. Apart from using it to communicate with others, browse news, read, and organize your activities, you can also use it for gaming. Thanks to technology, we can enjoy high-quality graphics and amazing games in different genres.
If you want to optimize your gaming experience, you need the best wired/Bluetooth game controller for iPhone. Our team searched the market and found the top three gamepads available in 2021. Read our detailed reviews to find a product that best suits your needs!
- Rotor Riot Mfi Certified Gamepad is the best gaming controller for iPhone you can find in the market. It is Mfi certified for a stable connection without lags and other problems. The holder will keep the phone in an optimal position while you enjoy playing. The buttons are optimally positioned, and the directional pad is precise.
- Razer Kishi Controller for iPhone features a collapsible design and a holder in the middle to put your device. You can expect a stable connection and adequate button placement and selection. You have both a D-pad and an analog stick, which is convenient.
- SteelSeries Nimbus Bluetooth Mobile Gaming Controller is perfect for those looking for the best battery life out of their gamepad. The product can hold for up to 40 hours of playing once fully charged. The pressure-sensitive buttons are a nice touch, and the overall design is fairly ergonomic.
Who Should Get This?
You might have tried playing games on your iPhone, but found it inconvenient to use touchscreen controls. If that is the case, finding the best gaming controller for iPhone can be of assistance. It will help you to take your experience to the next level, but also improve your skills.
While we are on the topic of improving skills, experienced players could also benefit from getting a controller. You might be an expert with touchscreen controls, but a gamepad is a way to enhance your in-game results even further.
Overall, an iPhone game controller is a great choice for any owner of this device who wants to use it to play games. That is especially true if you plan on playing racing, shooter, or sports games where precision and accuracy play an important role.
Best Game Controller for iPhone: What to Consider in 2021
Our experts have years of experience in mobile gaming. We used that knowledge when choosing the best Bluetooth controller for iPhone. These are the factors we found the most relevant during our selection process.
Does It Feature a Stable Connection?
The primary consideration is a stable connection. You can use Bluetooth to maintain it, but there are also other options like using the lightning connector or even Wi-Fi.
Bluetooth connections tend to be stable, which is why they are a popular choice. If you enjoy a stable connection, that means there will be no lagging, and the controller will respond instantly to all inputs.
Do You Like the Button Selection and Placement?
The number of buttons and their placement should fit your expectations. It might depend on the genre that you like playing. A standard controller usually includes at least four main buttons, an analog stick, D-pad, and pressure-sensitive buttons.
What’s Your Preferred Design?
You want the iPhone game controller to feel comfortable in your hands, which is why ergonomics are the primary consideration in this area. However, it also has to do with your preference and what you are used to when it comes to gamepad design.
Apple iPhone controllers might feature a mobile phone holder at the top or in the middle. Those can be convenient as they can keep the device in an optimal position regardless of your movements.
Other Things to Consider
Here are some other things that you might consider when choosing a gaming controller for iPhone:
- Battery life – how long can you play with the controller before it needs recharging?
- A companion app – these apps will usually feature a list of games compatible with that device.
- Game compatibility – if you want to play a particular game, make sure the gamepad is compatible with it.
Best Game Controller for iPhone: Our Picks for 2021
We are starting with an iPhone game controller that will meet and exceed the expectations of most players. The Rotor gamepad features a mobile device holder on top, and its task is to keep the phone in an optimal position while you are playing.
The controller itself feels comfortable in your hands and seems well-made. If you are a passionate player, some buttons might become a bit loose after a while, but this gamepad is still a smart investment. The button placement is smart, and the 8-way directional pad is precise.
Rotor Riot Gamepad is Mfi certified, which means there will be no lags and other performance problems while playing. The device utilizes a companion app and is compatible with more than 1,000 games.
What We Like
- It will feel comfortable in your hands.
- The mobile device holder is durable and capable of keeping the phone in position.
- Mfi certified control for a better gaming experience.
- No problem with lagging because of the wired connection.
What We Dislike
- You will need a companion app to play with this controller.
- The button durability could be better.
Razer designed a serious candidate for the best gaming controller for iPhone. The collapsible design ensures its size is compact. You expand it to put the phone in the middle and hold it there while playing. That takes some getting used to, and it’s not exactly an ergonomic design, but you should become comfortable with it quickly.
If you take a look at the button placement, it might remind you of the Xbox controller. However, the colors on the main buttons are different. The good news is that the buttons seem durable, and even the analog stick can be pressed. The accuracy of the D-pad is admirable, and you will find that there are no lags while playing.
That is because the controller utilizes the charging port. It will secure pass-through charging, but you can’t use wired earphones or a case when playing. As for the compatibility, the expandable design will ensure that it fits most iPhone models.
What We Like
- Instant button response because the device utilizes the phone’s charging port.
- The accuracy of the D-pad is impressive, and the buttons seem durable.
- Collapsible design makes it convenient to store.
- Excellent compatibility and suitability for most iPhones.
What We Dislike
- The design makes it non-compatible with wired headphones.
- Ergonomics are not the strongest suit of this product.
SteelSeries Nimbus might be the best Bluetooth iPhone game controller if you are looking for a premium quality gamepad. The controller will feel nice in your hands as the manufacturer tried to achieve a fairly economic design.
It is the battery life that sets this unit apart from similar ones. You can charge it quickly with the lightning connector, and a filled battery will last for up to 40 hours of playing.
When it comes to button placement, it is convenient, and you shouldn’t have problems getting used to this controller. The pressure-sensitive buttons are a nice addition, but the gamepad might feel a bit stiff at first.
The product utilizes Bluetooth and Wi-Fi to ensure optimal connection. Depending on the connection quality, using wireless might lead to some lagging. It is a shame that there is no support for wired playing, but if you are looking for a no-cable product, this is an excellent choice.
What We Like
- The excellent battery life of 40+ hours, and fast charging with the lightning connector.
- The menu button is convenient and secures instant navigation.
- Pressure-sensitive buttons are useful in many games.
- It feels comfortable in your hand, and it doesn’t weigh too much.
What We Dislike
- The joystick might feel a bit stiff at first.
- You only use micro-USB for charging, and there is no wireless charging option.
Useful Tips and Tricks
If you want to play on your iPhone, the first thing you need is optimal device performance. You can take advantage of these tips that will help you to optimize the unit for gaming. Tips like turning off background apps and learning how to pick lower graphics settings could be helpful in some older models.
Would you like to improve your mobile gaming skills? If the answer is yes, these tips might be of assistance. Using a gamepad is among the offered tricks, which means searching for a controller means you are on the right track to get better.
Do you need some recommendations on which games to play? You can go down the safe path and play popular releases like NBA2K21, Fortnite, etc. If you are looking for more games, check out this list, and you might come across a couple of gems in various genres.
Finding the best iPhone game controller is not an easy task. You want to find a gamepad with an optimal button placement for the games you are playing. It is imperative that the device feels comfortable in your hands, and a stable connection guarantees there will be no lags. As long as you stick to fulfilling these requirements, you are guaranteed to enjoy an optimal gaming experience when playing on your phone!